Inforest Research Forum
November 21, 2017, 06:12:34 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Search Calendar Login Register  
Poll
Question: How can I measure snow covering from satellite images?
? - 1 (100%)
? - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 1

Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Snow covering  (Read 3386 times)
konstantina28

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2011, 07:17:39 PM »

I would like to ask  if there 's a possibility and how, using ENVI and without ground measurements,
to calculate snow covering on mountains 's tops only from satellite 's images?
Advantages/disadvantages and where do I have to pay attention?
I haven't use this software in the past...only arcmap.Thank u for any information
inforest
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 08:03:37 AM »

Hello,

The simplest answer to this could easily be classification (either supervised or unsupervised). Snow as feature has characteristics that can make it distinguishable from other elements of the landscape. Furthermore object oriented classification could be applied as well with ENVI.

You need to have a "very" basic knowledge of using ENVI for image analysis and theoretical background for image classification. Furthermore if you have installed Arc and ENVI you may find it more familiar to use the ENVI toolbox for Arc. Its almost the same like using any other toolbox.
konstantina28

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2011, 11:36:27 AM »

Thank you,

is it compatitible Arc 9.2 with Envi?or which edition?
inforest
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2011, 10:52:52 PM »

If you want to use ENVI Tools within ArcGIS, you need ENVI 4.8 and Arc 9.3 or 10. Or you could use ENVI EX 4.8 with the same Arc vesrions. Be aware that ENVI EX does not have the full set of capabilities of ENVI, but it is more suited for the GIS user. You can ask for a trial licenses @inforest if you are located in Greece.
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: